Cynical Mari takes her turn at the keyboard, and then it turns into an ode to her parents... Go figure!
It's funny how easy it is to go from love to hate. It's definitely true what the proverbial "they" say: Love is blind. It's easy to dismiss such a simple saying, three words which seem to excuse being in relationships, platonic or otherwise, with people who are genuine - and please excuse my language, but - assholes. I just do not have time for people like that.
There's a long standing thing, for lack of a better word, in my family about my dad's mindfulness, kindness and willingness to help others. His dad was the same. He always thinks of others before himself, and it's a quality I really admire in him and aspire to have. In a way, I do that too.
I have been very lucky in my life to have been born to such two truly excellent people. I have my mum's strength, my dad's patience. My mum's beautiful smile, and my dad's deep eyes. I have never been shown anything but kindness: they treat each other with the utmost respect, and treat us the same. In fact, I have never witnessed my parent's being intentionally mean to anyone. They are human, don't worry! They make mistakes like anyone else, but they're not afraid to learn from them, and they're lucky enough to have each other for support in anything and everything.
I must say that their one weakness is when we get in the car. My dad likes to drive so whenever they are together in the car, he's usually the one in the drivers seat. And so is my mum - metaphorically speaking, of course, because she's a back-seat driver like no other! She does it to me too, but I've learnt to mostly tune it out! Anyway, other than that, like most children from loving families, I'm too close to see the flaws.
There's a long standing thing, for lack of a better word, in my family about my dad's mindfulness, kindness and willingness to help others. His dad was the same. He always thinks of others before himself, and it's a quality I really admire in him and aspire to have. In a way, I do that too.
I have been very lucky in my life to have been born to such two truly excellent people. I have my mum's strength, my dad's patience. My mum's beautiful smile, and my dad's deep eyes. I have never been shown anything but kindness: they treat each other with the utmost respect, and treat us the same. In fact, I have never witnessed my parent's being intentionally mean to anyone. They are human, don't worry! They make mistakes like anyone else, but they're not afraid to learn from them, and they're lucky enough to have each other for support in anything and everything.
I must say that their one weakness is when we get in the car. My dad likes to drive so whenever they are together in the car, he's usually the one in the drivers seat. And so is my mum - metaphorically speaking, of course, because she's a back-seat driver like no other! She does it to me too, but I've learnt to mostly tune it out! Anyway, other than that, like most children from loving families, I'm too close to see the flaws.
Comments
Post a Comment