Being alone vs loneliness

I've always struggled with the idea of loneliness; by definition it means a sadness of being without friends or company. Whilst in high school, it seemed that being alone was akin to loneliness. That being alone was a bad thing and that it was considered anti-social. I now realise it all boils down to one thing: introverts vs extroverts.

I've always enjoyed my own company, but at the same time I really enjoy spending time with my friends and meeting new people. I would class myself as an introvert with extrovert qualities. I am quite a confident person and surprisingly outspoken for an introvert. But here is what hardly anyone knows about me: I need time by myself to recharge. Interactions with other people drain me and I become very quiet and catty if I don't get my alone time.

From a young age, I loved reading and would stay up til maybe even one in the morning (which at age 8 is quite late) just to finish a book. I never felt lonely, even though I didn't really spend that much time with my friends outside of school. I had friends in the books I read, and I was OK with that.

I still enjoy curling up in bed with a good book, but it doesn't consume all my time like reading did when I was younger. I find other things to do with my time alone as well. Writing this, for example, is one of the things I'm doing to get to know myself better. It's surprising what comes out when you just sit down and write.

I find people are very scared to be alone with their thoughts. Be it because they don't actually like the person they are inside, or because they are so haunted by certain thoughts that they need constant distractions so as not to remember. There was definitely a time a few years ago when I felt the same, I was constantly listening to music to block out my thoughts. One day I just got tired of hiding from my self and spent about 40 minutes in the shower thinking about all the things I'd been avoiding for six months. I came out of the shower at peace with it all.

I final thought from me: it's good to be alone sometimes, just as it's good to be surrounded by the love and happiness brought by friends and family.

Comments