Excessiveness

When I speak of excessiveness in anything, my father says to me "παν μέτρον άριστον" which was said by Cleobulus and (for those of you reading this who don't speak Greek or have never studied Ancient Greek) means "moderation is the best thing." As of late I've been thinking about this phrase a lot, and as I struggle with understanding myself and the reasons behind why I feel the way I do about certain things, these words remind me of how I want to live my life.

A few days ago I was at dinner with my parents, my sister and my boyfriend and we were discussing my weight. My mum had said that I'd gotten fat, whereas my boyfriend said that I'm not actually fat, but that I have gained some weight. I jokingly replied that I loved food too much to be thin, and my dad piped in with "παν μέτρον άριστον." I considered what he said, and I mean really considered it this time. I knew that I'd been indulging myself a little bit too much when it came to food in the last four or so months, and I no longer felt comfortable at the weight I had reached. I don't care much for what others think of my weight, and neither about the number on the scales, but once I'm uncomfortable just sitting around: that's when I know it's a problem.


I thought about it and thought about it and it really bugs me that food is such a weakness for me. I'd definitely say that my mother's consciousness and neuroses about her weight and the way she eats have been reflected on me and I've definitely adopted some of them. I don't blame her in the least, I'm sure it's something she does subconsciously, and that she only wants her daughters looking the best and healthiest they can.


Sadly though, at the rate I'm going I can definitely see myself becoming overweight and maybe even obese some day. I openly admit that I don't exercise nearly enough as I should and I eat far too much for my own good. I can see why people get to be obese, I really can, but I don't want to be that person. I would utterly hate myself and would become antisocial and blame it all on society and my parents and that isn't fair on either of them.


I could never (and would never) starve myself to fit society's perception of beauty because, as I previously stated, I love food too much and I love being curvy! So, what should I do? Moderation. I don't need to eat twice my daily recommended calorific intake; I can survive on half (or even less) of what I eat now. I need to cut down on foods which are unhealthy (but indulge myself once in a while because what's the point if I can't eat a biscuit with my cup of tea?) and most importantly I think it's time to start exercising.

This is just one example of how I need to change, and I realise that. And it's only one aspect of my life with which moderation needs to be applied. I'm only human after all, and I'm trying to be better.





[Disclaimer: I know I'm by no means what anyone without a warped sense of humanity would call fat.]

Comments