Thoughts on opinions

I like to think I'm an open-minded person, who doesn't judge people on their habits or on their appearance or the choices they make. If someone goes against the norm, I say more power to them! I myself like to challenge the pre-conceived notions of how I "should" act and what it means to be a woman in today's society.

This, of course, does not mean that I do not have opinions. The problem with having opinions though, is that certain individuals feel that it is their one true goal in life to shove them down other people's throats. I don't like this. I feel that an opinion is not a fact. My opinions on different topics and also different people and things changes over time. This could be due to a compelling argument which has made me rethink my original stance on a topic or just because I'm at a different point in my life and I have matured a little bit.

I know that sometimes I am wrong. Sometimes, my opinion on something is utterly and completely inaccurate and I welcome people that challenge it. The difference is that I probably will listen and consider someone else's opinion if they deliver it in the right way and probably won't listen to it if they come at it in a most heinous manner. If you're yelling at me that you're right and that I'm wrong, I probably won't listen to what you're saying, and just from plain stubbornness (and a little bit because I like to get under people's skin sometimes) refuse to even consider your opinion.

I reiterate: an opinion is not a fact. It cannot be right or wrong.* I think it is very important that before you make your mind up about one thing or another, you look at all sides of what it is you're considering.

But that, of course, is my opinion. I'd be very happy to hear yours down in the comments.





*Just a little side note, if you come at me and tell me that it is your "opinion" that it's A-OK to shoot people in the foot because it won't actually kill them (or something of similar nature), then I will just think you're not very bright and don't have much common sense.

Comments