Philanthropy
For a long time I've felt like my purpose in life is greater than the moment I'm in. This is still true today, although I do let life get in the way a lot of the time. I think that philanthropy is the best way forward for me, because I get to help strangers, and just make the world a better place to be in.
Philanthropy to me is not donating large parts of my (currently non-existent) pay check to "good causes." I do understand that a lot of things (mostly illnesses) get a lot of awareness by the advertisements and donations of many charitable organisations. I'm always a bit sceptical when it comes to certain charities which do a lot of advertising - especially on TV - because I wonder just how much of the donations they actually give to the cause, and how much goes to advertising, administration costs and pay checks to members high up in the organisation.
Philanthropy for me is helping your fellow man. If we look at the root of the word, which originates in the Greek language at about the 5th century BC, it means love of humanity. To me personally, it's giving the rest of your chips to a homeless person instead of throwing them in the bin. It's helping that old lady in the supermarket car park lift her heavy shopping into her car. It's stopping someone else's young child from putting something dangerous in their mouth. All these little things might put you out of your way for just a few minutes, but they might mean the world to the person you're helping.
I know it's not much, and it probably won't make that much of a difference, but if we all treated everyone we came across in our lives with a little humanity, then maybe we have a chance at living peacefully.
Philanthropy to me is not donating large parts of my (currently non-existent) pay check to "good causes." I do understand that a lot of things (mostly illnesses) get a lot of awareness by the advertisements and donations of many charitable organisations. I'm always a bit sceptical when it comes to certain charities which do a lot of advertising - especially on TV - because I wonder just how much of the donations they actually give to the cause, and how much goes to advertising, administration costs and pay checks to members high up in the organisation.
Philanthropy for me is helping your fellow man. If we look at the root of the word, which originates in the Greek language at about the 5th century BC, it means love of humanity. To me personally, it's giving the rest of your chips to a homeless person instead of throwing them in the bin. It's helping that old lady in the supermarket car park lift her heavy shopping into her car. It's stopping someone else's young child from putting something dangerous in their mouth. All these little things might put you out of your way for just a few minutes, but they might mean the world to the person you're helping.
I know it's not much, and it probably won't make that much of a difference, but if we all treated everyone we came across in our lives with a little humanity, then maybe we have a chance at living peacefully.

Comments
Post a Comment